Click here to return to the main web site for the Town of Sharon

Friday, October 2, 2020

Selectmen 2020-08-18



Selectmen Minutes

August 18, 2020


Present:  Fred Woodhouse, Diane Callahan, Gary Backstrom


Call to order by Fred Woodhouse at 5:30 pm.


Motion to approve the minutes of 7/21/2020 (Backstrom/Callahan).  All in favor, motion carried.


Motion to approve the payroll and manifest (Backstrom/Callahan).  All in favor, motion carried.


The Board reviewed and signed the 2020 State of NH MS-1 Summary of Inventory Valuation.


The Board reviewed and signed the 2020 State of NH Application for reimbursement to towns and cities in which federal and state forest land is situated.


Fred Serpico, representing a non-profit agency, left plans for a deck replacement to notify the town that this agency will be replacing the deck at 73 Rt 124 for a disabled veteran.


The Board reviewed an update on taxes receivable from the Tax Collector.


The Board was given a complaint about the roadside mowing from Jim and Sandy Gorman of 30 Temple Road.  This complaint had been turned over to the Road Agent who has tried to reach the Gormans.


The Trustees of Willard Bass Park met with the Board to discuss the annual town picnic scheduled for August 30, 2020.  The Board approved the use of the Meeting House if there is rain.  The Trustees will be in contact with the State of NH to discuss guidelines if the picnic has to be moved inside.


The Trustees of Willard Bass Park spoke to the Board about the annual holiday tree lighting, which usually occurs the first weekend of December.  The Trustees feel that there is a safety issue because people park at the Meeting House and walk along the highway to the Park.  The tree has also become too tall to properly put lights on it, and with the Sharon Arts Center closed and for sale there is no electricity.  The Trustees proposed planting a new tree by the Old Brick School House.  They have a donor who will purchase the tree and pay for the installation.  They are proposing a baby blue spruce that will be 8' to 10' when purchased.  Motion to approve planting a tree by the Old Brick School House (Woodhouse/Callahan).  All in favor, motion carried.


Bill Joyner:

  • Informed the Board that many towns are hearing about resistance to a mask requirement for the elections.  Some towns are concerned they will need a Police presence at the polling places.  Mr. Joyner does not think that Sharon will need a Police presence, but wants to keep the Board updated on what is occurring around the state.


Mitch Call:

  • Inquired about the Select Board meeting schedule for September.  The Planning Board usually meets the second Tuesday of the month, however, in September that is when the primary election will be occurring.  The Select Board will be meeting in the Old Brick School House on the third Tuesday of September, which will leave the meeting room open.  The Planning Board will meet the third Tuesday with a delayed start time.


Carl Newton:

  • Suggested sending Mr. Groesbeck a letter to find out if he will be obtaining a building permit.  If no, he will need to move the containers on his property about 75'.

  • The want ad for a new Road Agent is in the paper and will be on-line for 30 days.

  • Will need to contact Dave Buxton to find out if he will be filing an intent to cut for Swamp Road, if not we will need to return his road bond.  Dustin Krook, Spring Hill Road; and Raffaele on Temple Road still need to repair the stone walls.  Mr. Newton will try to contact all three.

  • Discussion about how to ensure compliance with replacing stone walls after a timber cut, or other work.

  • Nashua Road will be paved next Tuesday, 8/25.


Ms. Callahan:

  • Spoke about school starting and the possible need of residents who have problems with their internet.  Would it be possible for the town to open the Meeting House to them?  Mr. Woodhouse asked if Ms. Callahan was suggesting that there be set hours.  Mr. Newton suggested a survey to determine if there is a need. 


Discussion about the proposed broadband survey.  Mr. Backstrom suggested adding a question about costs.  Discussion about upload/download speeds, DSL vs Fiberoptic.  Mr. Newton mentioned that Mason, NH has received a grant for broadband but may not receive any money as all work needs to be completed by year end.


Mr. Backstrom asked if there had been any cost savings on the schools due to remote learning.


Meeting adjourned at 6:48 PM.


Minutes taken by Debra Harling.  Approved on 09/01/2020