Click here to return to the main web site for the Town of Sharon

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Selectmen 2019-01-08



Selectmen Meeting Minutes

January 8, 2019


Present: Carl Newton, Linda Paris, Diane Callahan


Meeting called to order at 5:30 PM by Mr. Newton.


Motion to approve minutes of 12/18/18 (Paris/Callahan).  All in favor, motion carried.


Mr. Newton signed the 2018 4th Quarter 941 form as Chair.


The septage agreement with the Town of Peterborough was signed.  This agreement will allow septage haulers who pump septic tanks in the Town of Sharon to dump the septage at the Peterborough treatment plant.


Signed a LUCT warrant (current use change tax) for Tyler Seppala, Map 3 Lot 44A.


Ms. Harling informed the Board that Scott Fields of the Sharon Arts Center had contacted her regarding the A-9 form that had not been filed in 2018.  Mr. Fields will file the form and try to insure that future forms are filed in a timely manner. The Board will discuss the Sharon Arts Center tax exempt status at the 1/15/19 meeting.


Ms. Harling requested the Board approve an charge account at Staples for office supplies.  After discussion it was agreed that Ms. Harling may open an account at Staples. A credit limit of $500.00 will be requested, all purchases must be made by the Town Administrator, the Board will sign off on the receipts before any payments are made.  Any Board, Committee, or Town Official may request supplies needed to carry out town business through the Town Administrator.


Ms. Cahill from Rte 123 asked the Board about harvesting a fallen tree for firewood on the property across from hers.  Ken Callahan informed Ms. Cahill that the town does not own the land and gave her the contact information for the landowner.




Mitch Call:

  • Informed the Board that the SWRPC latest mailing has information on the FCC Challenge for cellular coverage.  Mr. Call also spoke about an interactive map that shows the results of the challenge.


Chet Bowles:

  • Informed the Board that the ZBA hearing on the Groesbeck appeal is scheduled for 2/7/19 at 5:30 pm, at the Meeting House.  Mr. Bowles has spoken to the Town Attorney had determined that the ZBA has three options: 1) Approve the barn 2) deny the barn but allow the foundation 3) deny the application and force removal.  The Select Board has the responsibility of zoning enforcement so they would need to enforce a decision on removal.

  • Informed the Board that the State of NH now has a portal for the Trustees of the Trust Funds to file their reports electronically.


Ms. Callahan:

  • Spoke about the letter to the Peterborough Library Trustees sent in December 2018.  There was discussion about whether anyone had discussed the question of the Town of Sharon having to pay a portion of a bond for the Library expansion.  Mr. Newton had spoken to the Chair of the Library Trustees who had informed him that the rates would probably increase if a bond is taken.


Mr. Newton:

  • Discussion about "closed" roads being kept open for fire apparatus.  Ken Callahan asked the Board to put money in the budget for this purpose.  Mr. Callahan feels that this is permissible because it is a public safety issue.

  • Discussion about a "wood" bank for town residents to obtain firewood.  Ken Callahan informed the Board that Peterborough has a "wood" bank that Town of Sharon residents are eligible to use.  The Board discussed making donations to the Peterborough wood bank. Mr. Callahan will check into this.


Ms. Paris:

  • Reminded that letters need to be sent out regarding credits in anticipation of the assessing review.

  • Asked the Town Administrator to send out an email on the googlegroups about the library.

  • Asked about the 2019 inventory forms.  The Town Administrator will request labels from Avitar once these forms are received.

  • Spoke about the insurance for contractors - this needs to be commercial insurance, not regular vehicle insurance.

  • The town is still waiting for information from Peterborough regarding the cost of Fire, Police, and the Transfer Station for 2019.

  • Need to start putting the 2018 Town Report together.  The Town Administrator will send out an email to the Boards and Committees requesting their reports.

  • Karen Shea Dufrense, the Tax Collector, is looking for a deputy.  Karen will contact Juliana about the position. Fred Woodhouse will mention this to his wife to see if she might be interested.

  • Discussed a policy about residents putting snow in the road.  The Select Board can create an ordinance about this, will need to research how to enforce and what type of penalties might be attached to such an ordinance.

  • Eric Matson has missed three payments on his agreement with the Town.


Mr. Newton:

  • Provided information on a proposed warrant article for a change to the school funding formula.  This change benefits the towns of Antrim and Bennington. The majority of the Selectmen's Advisory Committee will be urging a no vote on this warrant article.

  • Reviewed a timeline on the Groesbeck appeal to the ZBA which he will present to the ZBA.



Motion to adjourn (Newton/Paris).  All in favor, motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:06 PM.


Minutes taken by Debra Harling.  Approved on 01/15/2019.

 


___________________ ___________________ ___________________

Carl Newton                      Linda Paris Diane Callahan