Click here to return to the main web site for the Town of Sharon

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Selectmen 2018-08-21



Selectmen Meeting Minutes

August 21, 2018


Present: Carl Newton, Linda Paris, Diane Callahan


Meeting called to order at 5:30 PM by Mr. Newton.


Motion to approve the minutes of 7/17/18 and 7/31/18 (Paris/Newton).  All in favor, motion carried.


Motion to approve payroll and manifest (Newton/Callahan).  All in favor, motion carried.


Motion to sign the State of NH application for reimbursement for Federal and State Forest Lands (PA-16) (Newton/Callahan).  All in favor, motion carried and PA-16 signed.


Ms. Paris:

  • Informed the Board that the State Legislature has changed the interest rates charged on delinquent property taxes and tax liens.  Interest on property taxes will go down from 12% to 8%; interest on tax liens will go down from 18% to 14%.

  • Suggested the Town look into billing the Conval School District for counting their ballots at the March elections.  Other towns, like Peterborough do this.

  • Asked about the numbers that School District Superintendent Kim Saunders was going to send the Town.  Latest email states that these numbers should be sent no later than September 14, 2018.

  • Discussed contacting Roberts and Green to arrange to have John come to Sharon and work with the Audit Committee.  Set the schedule so that all departments are met with on the same day. Discussion of recruiting new people for the Audit Committee.

  • Asked if any of the Board members was planning on attending the voting training in Rindge on Thursday, August 23, 2018 from 9 am to 11:30 am.  Ms. Callahan may do this.


Tim Keenan:

  • Sharon had minimal damage from the storms on 8/19/2018.  The culvert on Swamp Road was overwhelmed. Mountain Road held up nicely.

  • Mowing is being done on Mill Road.

  • Has spoken to a couple of people about winter plowing.  Has put together information regarding the plowing needs so that quotes will be based upon the same information.


Alicia and Reade Salvo met with the Board regarding a driveway permit for the property they just purchased.  The Salvos were given a driveway permit application and made an appointment to meet with the Road Agent, Tim Keenan, at the property.


Ken Callahan:

  • Contacted Shaw's Septic Service.  It was determined that the septic did not need to be pumped.  It is a 2500 gallon tank, it was suggested that the septic be checked again in 2 to 3 years.  The filter was cleaned and risers were installed for the septic.


Mitch Call:

  • Looked into information regarding money for upgrades to cell phone service in rural areas.  There is 4.3 million in seed money for towns to determine how good the cell phone service is.  The towns will be given equipment to use, volunteer would go into different areas of the town to determine where service is needed.  An application will need to be submitted to become a part of this project.

Mr. Newton:

  • Will start working on one of the gates at the cemetery.

  • Would like to announce at the picnic about having a Saturday clean-up day at the Meeting House to wash windows, clean siding (primarily the front entry and north side of the building).  Perhaps work on the vegetation.

  • Asked the Board to think about what to do at the Brown's property.  His opinion is that they either submit an application for a home business or tear down the building that was erected.

  • Asked the Board about informing residents and property owners about their responsibilities in regards to filing for permits.  Ms. Harling will write up an announcement for the Board to review and once approved send it out in an email blast on the googlegroups.

Motion to adjourn (Newton/Paris).  All in favor, motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 6:31 PM.


Minutes taken by Debra Harling.  Approved on 9/04/2018.

 


___________________ ___________________ ___________________

Carl Newton                      Linda Paris Diane Callahan