Click here to return to the main web site for the Town of Sharon

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Selectmen 2017-10-03




Selectmen Meeting Minutes
October 3, 2017

Present: Carl Newton, Donald T. O'Brien, Linda Paris
Meeting called to order at 5:35 PM by Mr. Newton

Motion to approve the minutes of 9/19/2017 (Paris/O'Brien).  Paris and O'Brien - yes, Newton - abstained, motion carried.

Signed timber (Yield) tax warrant for Nichols, M 05 L 018.

The Treasurer has given authorization to the Town Administrator to make deposits in October while the Treasurer is gone.  Motion to approve the Treasurer's authorization to Ms. Harling to make bank deposits in October (Newton/O'Brien).  All in favor, motion carried.

Ms. Harling:
  • Question from Christine Jacquez regarding Comcast coming to Sharon and the address for M 07 L 09C.  Ms. Harling will respond.
  • Zoning question from Tracy Tanner Craig regarding a home business at 248 Spring Hill Road.  This was forwarded to Chet Bowles and Mr. Bowles responded to Ms. Craig.
  • The DRA recommended changes to the MS-535.  A response was sent to the DRA, the MS-535 will be resubmitted.
  • Intent to cut for DiSalvo, M 07 L 021, on Swamp Road.  Ms. Harling will contact the Logger to inform him that the acreage of the cut is not specified and there is the possibility of a road bond requirement.
  • The Treasurer asked about the monthly service charge from the bank for the Forest Fund.  Ken Callahan will research the reason there are two separate funds, Conservation Fund and Forest Fund.  No action will be taken pending Mr. Callahan's research.

Jacob Caleb met with the Board to discuss building at 49 Turnpike Road.  Mr. Caleb had been informed that he did not need a building permit.  Mr. Caleb submitted a building permit with a description of the work.  The Board requested that Mr. Caleb contact Tim Grosbeck and have the setbacks measured to determine they are correct.  Mr. Caleb will send a check in the amount of $35.00 to cover the cost of Mr. Grosbeck checking the setback measurements.

Mitch Call:
  • Discussed the cost of certified mailings, the amount of $6.50 being charged to applicants does not cover the cost of certified, return receipt mailings.  Mr. Newton thought the Board had approved a change in the amount to $10.00. Mr. Call, as Planning Board Chair, was not aware of any changes.  Motion to approve a charge of $10.00 for certified, return receipt mail for all Committees and Boards (Newton/O'Brien).  All in favor, motion carried.

Ted O'Brien:
  • Does the BOS have any say in the transition of home based businesses?  Mr. Newton explained that these are usually ZBA decisions depending on the circumstances.

Linda Paris:
  • Ms. Paris asked the status of the beaver "relocation", Mr. Newton informed the Board that 3 beavers have been removed within the past two weeks with 2 more to be removed.
  • The Sharon Art Center has a flag at their entrance.  Mr. Callahan stated that this does not meet the requirements of the ordinance.  Discussion of the sign ordinance, no action is to be taken at this time.
  • Update from the Tax Collector, no payment has been received from Mr. Mattson.  Mr. Newton will speak to the Road Agent regarding winter contractors.
  • Question about "movable" sheds.  Mr. Call stated that sheds need to meet setback requirements.

Carl Newton:
  • The Road Agent will grade roads by the end of October.
  • Work on the shed is complete and it is ready for the new door.

Ken Callahan:
  • Does the Board want to make any changes to the list of positions.  The Board approved the list that Mr. Callahan has done and it will be posted on the website and at the Town Clerk window.

Motion to adjourn (Newton/Paris). All in favor, motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 6:35 PM.

Minutes taken by Debra Harling.  Approved on 10/17/2017_.
 

___________________ ___________________ ___________________
Carl Newton                      Donald T. O'Brien Linda Paris